Monday, June 29, 2015

Learning from other Buddhist Women

Yesterday I attended a Women's Division meeting for those who live in the Downtown Chicago chapter.  It was amazing to see such a diverse group in so many ways.  Age, skin color, wardrobe style, orientation, economics, primary role, shoe color, ethnicity, jewelry and all the other things that make us individuals.  We all brought our unique "Buddha seeking selves' to the meeting.

Typically I am not one to get excited about attending an organized event.  I think it has to do with all of the things you are 'required' to attend when you were in school clubs, work teams, church groups and such.  I think that for me, it is the expectation of being part of the group is the thing I fight.  I do not want to have to meet one more obligation that I do not want to keep. 

The hard part about this is that as members of the SGI family, we gain so much when we do participate in activities.  So while I hate the obligatory feeling, I always leave a meeting having learned something about myself or others that helps me become the kind of person who can find ultimate happiness.

Yesterday was no different for me.  I listened to five women share their experiences in how they had to face things that were difficult in their lives, but with courage and determination and continuing to chant, they overcame those challenges and were better for them in the end.  This is the true aspect of this practice.  There is always a victory that can occur.

In a small group discussion after listening to experiences, I was able to share with others and hear their thoughts on what are some of the things we face that might keep us from finding true happiness within ourselves.  It was amazing that as we took turns reading what potential mindsets and attitudes were, we all had to read the one that we were struggling with in the moment.  How mystic is this universe that we get the message we need in the moment of need. 

The 5 things that can keep us looking inside ourselves and are:  Evading responsibility and blaming others or the environment, Escapism or not meeting challenges, Doubt and despair that leads to grumbling and complaining, Jealousy and resentment and Fear or Lack of courage.

When I think and ponder on all five of them, I can identify times in my life that each one of them took on a life of its own and it left me powerless and unhappy.  With this practice of Nicherin Buddhism, I know that it is my mission to fight those negative tendencies once and for all and put them behind me. 

It is when those tendencies have been replaced by the resolve that no matter what is happening, who I am with, or what thoughts want to sneak out of my unconscious - I am capable of bringing out my Buddha nature that is made up of courage, wisdom, compassion and job and therefore I can bring happiness to myself and those around me.

With the examples of the strong and wonderful women I have met along my journey, I can hold that truth and see it in action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment