Saturday, September 12, 2015

Dancing Raindrops and Peaceful Practice

While I was chanting to the Gohonzon this morning, it was after a rain in the city.  The wind was blowing, the sun was trying to come out and drops of rain were falling from the tree that hangs over my patio.  I was struck by how symbolic those raindrops were for me.

At one point I was thinking how the drops are like reminders that sometimes you think the storm is over and then a breeze will bring out more rain.  It reminded me that in the midst of everything in life there is always going to be something that might happen that can cause me to think that the storm is going to continue forever.   Today I saw the drops as signs that there is a bit more work I need to do, or a bit more time I need to be patient, and that I need appreciate the way the each drop glistens when it hits the pavement.  What is happening around me in my life right now is happening for reasons.  Yes, there is rain and just when I think it is over some more drops fall out of the trees.  The opportunity I am being given to appreciate the rain and the sun at the same time is amazing.

My mind also drifted to how beautiful this Nicherin Buddhist practice is because I had the opportunity for some wisdom while chanting.  In the past I tried to meditate and be silent.  And while that brought me peace in the moment, I was not able to translate that peace to other times in my day and life. 

I also realized while chanting that the rain is a necessary part of sustaining the earth and life.  Without it the plants would wither and the lakes and puddles for animals would dry up.  While I am not always a nature girl, a life without green and flowers would be dull.  And that is for our lives too.  If everything was perfect at all times, how could I appreciate the perfection? Even though I am constantly striving and thinking I need to be perfect, if I allowed myself to have joy and wonder for the occasional rain drop that was going to fall with the wind, I may have more inner peace without judging myself.

When I am chanting to my Gohonzon, I may not have peace as each bit of wisdom comes forth from within, but I am at peace when I am done and that peace remains with me.  As the rain has been going on and off for the past hour or so, I am at peace knowing that it will not go on forever.  I am at peace knowing that what I am dealing with right now does not make me imperfect. I know I need to take action to redefine what perfect is.  But, I am at peace and very much in awe of how the raindrops are creating a bit of a 'dance' in the patio puddle and that I can be dancing inside too.  Continuing to have faith, to study and practice is the key to both the dance and the peace.

NamMyohoRengeKyo

No comments:

Post a Comment