Friday, July 3, 2015

Chanting Gets You through the Day

I spent more than 4 hours on the road today driving from Chicago to Michigan.   The traffic was unbelievable, the roadwork going on seemed unplanned and the multiple times that we were travelling at less than 10 miles an hour were too many too count. 

I found myself chanting as I drove and this kept me in a place where I was able to drive along and stay peaceful despite the things going on around me.  Of course there were those events that gave me a moment of angst - and then I could let it go.

I remember when I first started chanting over 5 years.  I had a daily commute to Bensenville that was well over an hour.  As I drove on 90/94 there would be those that would cut in front of you, those that would read the sign that said the lane was closed and still would go down that lane, those that would get in the fast lane and drive so slow that you wanted to nudge them forward.  I used to get so angry and let it affect my mood.  Once I started chanting I was able to separate myself from the drive and be able to realize that people behaved or drove because of what was going on in their heads and it did not need to be what was in mine.

My drive to Michigan today reminded me of the many days and hours that I spent chanting so that I could remain calm and at peace within myself.  I am amazed and blessed on how quickly I can go from getting frustrated and upset to recognizing that if I chant in this 'situation' I will be in a better rhythm with the universe and I will stop putting out the negative thoughts towards those around me and instead send out positive energy to the environment and it will connect with those who are seeking positivity and are in sync with it.

I am so thankful and appreciative of having been introduced to chanting and discovering how ultimately it is part of the Nicherin Buddhism practice.  Chanting is the one thing that does keep me sane and able to project a healthy view of myself and the world around me. 

Nam Myho Renge Kyo

No comments:

Post a Comment