Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I AM a winner


I have passed my 5 year Buddhist Birthday.........and it is hard to believe that I have been chanting and polishing my personal mirror in front of the Gohonzon for that long. 

In the past I have been a  "wonder 3" girl.  I can do anything for 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and when it becomes hard or I don't see results, I give up.  That has applied to dieting, exercise, readings, memory exercises, etc.  If it sounds good I will try it and then eventually I settle for status quo and pretend that whatever I was focused on was a blip in time.

For some people (and I know people who have been practicing Nicherin Buddhism for over 40 years), 5 years is still a newbee.  And many days I feel that myself.  I don't know all there is to know about this practice, I am not always confident I am doing things correctly.  I sometimes question my determinations and "asks".  But, I have never questioned if this practice is right for me.

The minute I entered the SGI center in Chicago in July of 2010 I knew I was home.  I had no idea what that meant, but it felt so right.  That was on a Saturday and the next Tuesday I received my own Gohonzon.  It has been a constant in my life ever since.  Sure I have missed days of chanting.  Sure I have hurried through Gonyo to get to the next thing on my agenda. Yes,  I have taken the low road and not the high road in situations.  My Buddha nature was well hidden and the devilish functions had their way. But the acceptance that I have the ability to change me has never left me.

Today, as I reflect again on how far I have come in the past 5 years, I opened the "Faith in Action" book with the wisdom of our SGI President Daisaku Ikeda and this is the passage that I had underlined a while back in my studies.  "The functions of both the devil and the Buddha exist within our lives.  Ultimately our battle is with ourselves.  Essentially everything boils down to a struggle between positive and negative forces." 

The struggle continues for me - even after 5 years.  But the wisdom and courage to be the winner also exits with me.  I can see the progress I have made in fighting those devilish functions.  And with each victory, I can feel the joy and energy that comes to declare, "I am a winner".  I will continue to bring out my Buddha nature and recognize that same nature in others.  I continue to fight to bring this joy and happiness to others. 

Joyfulness and happiness of  others will eventually lead to World Peace - Kosen Rufu.  What a world it would be if we all were advancing happily as winners over ourselves and connecting with the positive forces. 

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

No comments:

Post a Comment